If your kids don’t like Mac & Cheeze they may be aliens from outer space (I kid — no really). Many dairy free recipes call for a ton of fake butter and oil. Well not this one!
1 pound of your favorite pasta
1 head of broccoli
1 cup raw cashews soaked
1 1/4 cup water
1 whole pimento
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp salt
dash black pepper
- Start by soaking the cashews (the better your blender the less soaking time needed).
- Next get your pasta water boiling and get out all the ingredients and tools you’ll need.
- Cook the pasta as per the package directions.
- Just before the pasta is finished, toss in the broccoli. This will blanch it but not thoroughly cook it and the broccoli will therefore retain more nutrients.
- Drain and rinse then start the sauce.
- I’m using a Vitamix (by the way, if my house were on fire, I’d rescue the kids, then the Macbook, then the Vitamix). Drain and rinse the cashews. Place all the cheeze sauce ingredients in the blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. The Vitamix will also heat the sauce so don’t worry if the pasta and broccoli is cooling off.
- In a serving dish (um yeah, what I cooked the pasta in) combine the pasta, broccoli and sauce. Stir and serve.
If for some reason you dislike broccoli, go immediately to a counselor. Oops, I mean you can substitute lots of yummy veggies. Peas, carrots and cauliflower are our favs. And of course you can go completely crazy and skip the veggies all together (but don’t do that).
What veggies will you use in this recipe?